Tuesday, February 9, 2010

a winter recipe

I love that Kentucky has four seasons... that we get to experience winter, spring, summer, and fall.
But I'm kind of reaching my limit with winter. :)


A few years ago I would have been sledding on a day like today, but Clare doesn't particularly like sledding. Or snow! Yikes, I hope she grows into it!
We are both a little stir crazy and dreaming of milder temps, walks at the park, and running through the sprinkler.

... sigh....

Well until that time comes, we will just have to get creative. :) Which brings me to Homemade Play-Dough.

Combine in a saucepan:
• 1 cup flour
• 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
• ½ cup salt
• 1 to 2 Tbsp cooking oil
• 1 cup water
Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.


The mixture will thicken and it will be really hard to stir! When it looks about like this:


Scoop it out of the pan onto a clean surface. Knead it like bread until it is smooth.


Then divide it into sections and add food coloring. (Wear latex gloves or your hands will look like rainbow tie-dye... oops!)


Add one stir crazy toddler!
Be sure and keep a close eye on her, otherwise she may try and sneak bites. The play-dough is non-toxic, but definitely not a good idea for a baby to eat very much of. Let's face it though... despite my best efforts, Clare snuck a few nibbles!



Put some on her nose. She will not be amused love it!


When you're done, just store it in some ziplocks. Have fun!

1 comment:

Megan said...

You are so crafty! Clare's hair is longer every time I see her! She'll have a little pony-tail soon!