Sunday, August 23, 2009

calling all MOMS

This means you, yes you! Don't be shy!
I hope you don't mind, but I was wondering if I could ask for some advice.
I have questions, lots of questions, and I'm dying to know your opinion!
Here goes:

1. At what age did you start teaching your child "no"?
2. How did you do it?
3. What would you do for a child who is, say, 9 months old and sweet as pie but needs to learn some table manners??

I don't know who you're talking about.

4. At what age did you wean your child from the pacifier?
5. HOW DID YOU DO IT?
(Taking the paci away terrifies me, mainly because it is my dear friend and Clare loves it so, but I am thinking it might be time.)

If you have a lot to say on these subjects and don't mind putting it all down on paper, you can always email me at karadeyoung@hotmail.com. My parenting skills are putty in your hands!

A very big thank you in advance...
We appreciate it!

2 comments:

Clare said...

I have answers for you, I know how advice goes so feel free to take what you need and leave what you don't like. And holler with questions.
We were careful about using "no", we didn't want it to be used so much that it didn't have meaning. We use it more now but we are still careful about it. Mainly we redirect, but when it comes to meals I have been very careful not to scare her while eating since they learn from getting messy, grabbing etc. We just recently started saying 'no' when she tries to throw things off her tray. If she grabbed the spoon we would let her play with it even when it got messy, then when she wanted to grab it all the time we just stopped baby food and went to finger foods. I would say 9-10 months was when we started saying 'no', and it's the tone of voice more then the word, and if Clare is like Fiona-she will laugh and then it is hard not to laugh also, but stay strong :-).
I might not be as much help in the binky department, we took it away at 10 months but we only used it at night after 4 months and she didn't love it. She used it but if she lost it she would suck her fingers. Our doctor didn't think it was an issue that early but I didn't like it, I hated seeing babies over a certain age using one for no reason-even though hers stayed in the crib and sometimes in the car-I didn't want her to start to love it. So, we just went cold turkey with it.
Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Personally I don't have any experience in this area (my man is only 2.5 months old), but I remember my mom weaning my little brother. She started when he was 10 months. He could only have his binky if he was in his crib. If he wanted the binky he had to be in bed. When that was established my mom cut the nipple of the binky that was kept in his crib. When he went to suck on it he didn't like it. Mom left the binky in his crib for a couple weeks to remind him it was "broken". Bye bye binky! :0)I don't know if it will work for you, but it worked for my bro, he just turned 20 with no binky!