Wednesday, February 25, 2009

confession

I have always loved animals. Always, always. You know how people ask, "Are you a dog person or a cat person?" I've never been able to answer.... you mean I have to choose? I love all my little furry friends... I love people who love their pets, too.  I always smile to myself whenever I see happy pets and their owners at the park. To be completely honest, I've always kind of thought that not liking animals is kind of a poor reflection of someone's character. 

This is why it pains me to admit.... 

I sometimes hate my dog. 
Ahhhh! I know! I am a terrible person!

I promise I don't totally hate him... sometimes he is cute. But I swear that over the past 24 hours I have seriously considered throwing him in the backseat of my car and hauling him away to the Humane Society, oh, 134,343 times. That dog. 

Conversation yesterday afternoon:

J: Kara, do we have any goggles? Like, for swimming?
K: Ummm, no, I don't think so. 
J: Oh. Ok. 
(long pause)
K: Oh wait! I think I might, actually! I still have some in my gym bag upstairs. Do you want me to go get them? What do you need them for?
(long pause)
K: What? Do you want them?
(longer pause) 
J: Dieselmighthavechewedthemup. Anyway, want to go get ice cream or something? 

He was covering for that dog! Holy smokes, it still makes my blood boil to think of my innocent goggles... gone forever. In the last 24 hours, he has chewed up my goggles, one of Clare's good pacis, licked some of the soup I was eating for lunch right out of my bowl when he thought I wasn't looking, gotten one of Clare's diapers out of the trash and eaten it, generally been nosy and licky and annoying, and Jesse gave him a bath yesterday and today he is already managing to stink. What the heck?

Well, let me tell you. It didn't always used to be this way. I used to love him all the time! We took him to obedience classes last fall and he was valedictorian, for pete's sake! Where did I go wrong? What has happened to my once loving, caring heart? Who have I become?? 

There you go. Now you now know what a terrible, awful person I am. I do not love my dog. I am so ashamed. 
I promise that I would never really take Diesel to the Humane Society. It's just... awfully tempting sometimes. 

6 comments:

Andrea said...

He sure is cute though! ;-)

Don't worry, I have the same feelings run through my head too sometimes!

katy said...

Ahhh! We can commiserate! I came home to Stella OUT OF HER CRATE (because a certain someone who lives with me forgot) and my UNDERWEAR and DIRTY TISSUES were all over the living room rug. I was SO MAD! Dogs are SO GROSS!

katy said...

*sigh*

Michelle Duggar totally wouldn't imply negative things about Jim Bob like that... and she wouldn't be watching "The City" on mtv.com either.

I'm so ashamed.

Rochelle said...

Hahaha..I'm pretty sure Gracie has Diesel beat in the naughty department. She's a little Houdini and escapes from her cage everytime we're out of the house for more than 10 minutes...then proceeds to eat everything she can find. Trash, underwear, headphones, cds, rolls and rolls of toilet paper, and even Blackberry's....

I am not looking forward to this 18 hour car ride with her next week. Ugh.

Clare said...

I came across your blog a while ago and decided I had to follow it. I have to like someone who knows how to spell "Clare" correctly, that is my name. My parents named me after the county in Ireland, is that where you got the spelling?
Anyway, we have two cats and a dog and I threaten to take them for a drive in the country a lot. Don't think that I am a bad Mom but I used to threaten to take my daughter and my cat on the drive, my daughter was colicky. I love all of them so much so I wouldn't ever get rid of any of them! My husband though....I am just kidding!

ecarter said...

I love it! And I don't judge you for hating your dog at times. This is why my parents and I have "joint" custody of June. And by "joint" I mean my parents have her pretty much all the time now.