Monday, September 7, 2009

dining room

I am finally back to the house tour... I have to finish this thing out!
Ok, here we go:

This is what our dining room looked like a few weeks ago.
This was the one room we hadn't touched since we moved in... I thought the color was ok. Pretty and dramatic... and I like red.
But the longer we lived with it, the red started to get to me... doesn't it look kind of cave-like? The room always felt so dark and small. Kind of depressing.


Painting it has been on my to-do list for months, even though the exact color has changed about a million times.
Finally it came time to decide... I chose white.
Lately I have been seeing lots of white rooms that I love. I like simple, clean, and livable... so I decided we should take the plunge.
3 coats of "Antique White" (Glidden, I think?) later, this is the result!



Jess and I like it overall, but it seems to be missing something.
Any suggestions on how to take it from "white laboratory" to "serene, homey dining room?" Here is some inspiration:




What do you think?

6 comments:

katy said...

It looks so good with the furniture and curtains! I'm sure you will get some great suggestions, but you know me, I don't know anything about that stuff. :)

Brenda said...

In the summer a huge vase (hobby lobby) with lemons is gorgeous in a white room.

Andrea said...

I love it and I agree with the lemons! I think some picture arrangement would be awesome like that one inspiration picture.... or, you could do NOTHING, b/c it already looks awesome! I love 'simple'!

Paul Yerrick said...

Hey! Love the white. Maybe some shelves that come put up on the wall, different levels, cool books and candles... what do ya thunk?

Kristine said...

I put an 8x5 (target) floor rug under my table on the hardwood floor, and I liked the result. Not sure if that is what you are going for, but it is an easy change.

Kristine said...

Meant to say- your room looks beautiful. I really like the white.