Way back when Clare was still a little mystery baby in my tummy (her nickname was "Sprout") I had a little baby shower. A lot of the ladies on the guest list were wise, seasoned Moms who had lots to share... so we had them each write down some parenting advice on little notecards for me. I still have every bit of advice they gave me... all those little notecards tucked away in Clare's Memory Box.
Her Memory Box was a gift from a woman who I truly admire and consider one of my greatest role models. (Even though I don't even know her very well!) This is the note she included in the box:
This little box has been fashioned to hold
Numerous treasures more precious than gold
the contents here remind each one
of the wondrous works our God has done.
Mighty provision, miraculous grace,
In every object we glimpse His face.
As we add to this chest with each passing day
We capture each memory and pause just to say
Thank You, dear Father, for we know that it's true
Gifts like these come only from You!
Instructions:
Read Joshua 4
Gather your "stones": Watch for God at work in your life
Each time you discover God doing something only He can do, answering a prayer or working mightily on your behalf, choose a specific memento to place in your Memory Box
Open your Memory Box often, tell His stories and thank Him for all He has done!
I love Clare's Memory Box. Already we have gathered a few "stones" to add. As she grows, we will all be able to open her little Box, and remember together what God has done for us.
A few snippets of advice from my notecards:
From a Mommy of 5-
"Teach basic manners (the old fashioned kind)
Parent purposefully- have a plan!
Teach your children to organize their lives & they will become good stewards of money, time, and possessions"
From another amazing Mom:
"In a word, TRUST. He can be trusted with your little one! There will be doubts... lots of them. Allow God to build your trust in Him through this new life.
Also, don't forget "what God has put together" came first! Baby came next. That was on purpose. Treasure one another higher than new baby DeYoung. Now that's lofty!"
Another:
"Pray
Model your Faith- "The things you have learned and heard and received in me, practice these things..." Phil 4:9
Pray
Marriage Matters- Be vigilant. Invest every day to make your marriage strong.
Pray
Make every moment count- The days are long, but the years are short!
Pray."
There is more. I'll type it out in another post soon!
What is the best parenting advice you've ever gotten?
2 comments:
"Sleep when the baby sleeps." Just kidding, that was my least favorite because Kendra did not like to sleep consistently for a while which just made me crazy! :)
I would say parenting with God's grace. Grace for yourself as a parent, grace for your child, and grace for other parents who do things differently than you do. No child is the same, so not every child will respond the same way to certain parenting styles. I wish I had listened to this earlier on.
That is wise advise.
Post a Comment