Monday, March 23, 2009

disasters and calamities

Calamity No. 1:
Let me preface by saying that Jesse and I never buy new things for our house. I mean, we would like to, but you know... it's expensive! I would say 90% of our furniture is hand-me-down or a rescued-from-the-side-of-the-road type of thing. Not that I'm complaining... most of it is cute and comfortable! But all that said...
I've been wanting a rug for our living room for a while now... our floors are hardwood and it just feels so cold and dusty sometimes. Clare will also need a space to play and crawl this year! I'd been eyeing some rugs from west elm and one day last week it happened... I caught one on major sale. 60% off! Ain't she a beauty? 
So, just a lesson in Rug Care 101... you know what doesn't mix well with new rugs? 
This stuff. 

The very same day that the rug was delivered, I lovingly rolled it out over our floor, admired it from all possible angles, and did a little happy dance on its woven natural fibers... I promptly dumped an entire bowl of chunky salsa on it. Might I add that the bowl twirled through the air before it hit the rug and landed on its side, shooting the remaining salsa across the room like a little salsa cannon.
Anyway, I'll spare you what happened next, but after much panicking and scrubbing the rug almost looks like new again.  We use Shaklee cleaning products and they didn't fail me in my hour of need. 

Calamity No. 2:
Last week I also left Ovlov's driver's side window rolled down all night... while it poured. I've been driving around town for the past week like so: 
That's: Layer of trash bag.
 Layer of towel.
Windows down to air out that musty smell. 

Whew. 

1 comment:

katy said...

The rug looks lovely and you can't tell that it's been salsa-fied! :)